Introducing the Calico Crab (Hepatus epheliticus), a captivating and distinctive addition to your marine aquarium. With its striking calico-like coloration and unique appearance, these crabs not only add a touch of intrigue to your tank but also play a vital role in maintaining a clean and harmonious underwater world.
Calico Crabs are easily recognized by their captivating mosaic of colors, with patches of orange, red, and black on their shells. This unique pattern sets them apart and makes them a sought-after choice for aquarists. But their importance goes beyond aesthetics - they are diligent scavengers and algae-eaters, contributing to a thriving and balanced aquarium ecosystem.
These crabs actively patrol live rock and substrate in search of algae, detritus, and leftover food, helping to maintain water quality by preventing the buildup of waste. Calico Crabs are known for their peaceful disposition, making them compatible with a variety of tank inhabitants. Elevate the beauty and health of your marine aquarium with the exquisite Calico Crab!
- Tank Size: Suitable for various tank sizes, but a minimum of 30 gallons is recommended.
- Water Parameters: Maintain a temperature of 72-78°F (22-26°C), a pH level between 8.1-8.4, and a specific gravity of 1.023-1.025.
- Feeding: Calico Crabs primarily feed on algae, detritus, and leftover fish food. Provide supplemental seaweed or algae wafers to ensure they receive proper nutrition.
- Compatibility: Calico Crabs are generally peaceful and can coexist with a wide range of fish and invertebrates.
- Shelter: Offer hiding spots and crevices within your tank to accommodate their molting and hiding behavior.
- Maintenance: Regular water changes and water quality monitoring are essential for their well-being.